NIMHANS Admission Notice 2009-2010: Ph.D / MD/ M.phil/ M.Sc/ Diploma courses [NATIONAL INSTITUTE OF MENTAL HEALTH AND NEURO SCIENCES (NIMHANS)]
GRAMS:NIMHANS Ph: 26995000/26995015 FAX: 0091-080-26564830 /26562121
NATIONAL INSTITUTE OF MENTAL HEALTH AND NEURO SCIENCES (NIMHANS)
P.B.No.2900, Hosur Road, Bangalore-560 029, INDIA
ADMISSION NOTICE 2009-2010
Applications are invited on prescribed form for Admission to the following courses for the Academic Year 2009 – 2010.
PLEASE NOTE THAT ONLY THE LATEST APPLICATION, PRESENTLY AVAILABLE ON THE NIMHANS WEBSITE SHOULD BE DOWNLOADED. ANY PREVIOUS YEARS APPLICATIONS OR APPLICATIONS DOWNLOADED IN ANY OTHER FORM/WEBSITE WILL BE REJECTED.
Admission Notice 2009-10 [PDF]
Prospectus 2009-10 [PDF]
Application Form (Medical Course) [PDF]
Application Form (Non-Medical Course) [PDF]
Application Form (Diploma Course) [PDF]
Dates to Remember:
Last Date for Issuing Application through Post: 25th October 2008
Last Date for Issuing Application in Person: 31st October 2008
Last Date for Receipt of filled in Application: 5th November 2008
Entrance Test will be held in Bangalore on: 22nd February 2009
Commencement of the Courses PG Medical and Non-Medical courses : 2nd May 2009
Last date for admission of candidates selected to PG Medical & Non Medical Courses: 30th May 2009
Duly filled in application should be sent to the Director, NIMHANS, Hosur Road, Bangalore â€“ 560 029 along with a Demand Draft drawn in favour of Director, NIMHANS by superscribing the name of the course applied for on the Envelope without fail.
(a) Institute Fellowship
1. Ph.D. Degree in Mental Health & Social Psychology
2. Ph.D. Degree in Neurophysiology
3. Ph.D. Degree in Speech Pathology & Audiology
(b) External Fellowship
Candidates with Sponsorship from Government of India/State Govt. Institutions, Deputed or Sponsored from a recognized University, Fellowships from Government Agencies like UGC/ICMR/CSIR etc., and Permanent Employees and tenured employees of NIMHANS can also apply for Ph.D. in the various departments of this Institute which will be considered at the discretion of the competent authority for Entrance Test to be held during the month of February.
(1) Biophysics (2) Biostatistics (3) Mental Health & Social Psychology (4) Epidemiology (5) Mental Health Education (6) Human Genetics (7) Neuroanaesthesia (8) Neurochemistry (9) Neuroimaging and Interventional Radiology (10) Neurology (11) Neuromicrobiology (12) Neurophysiology (13) Neurosurgery (14) Neurovirology (15) Nursing (16) Psychiatric Social Work (17) Psychiatry (18) Psychopharmacology (19) Speech Pathology & Audiology.
Minimal Qualifications for admission (Ph.D.)
1. A Masterâ€™s degree in the discipline securing not less than 55% of marks in the aggregate or MBBS/Ayurvedic Graduation/BE/B.Tech./B.Sc. Engineering. They have to work on full time basis for a minimum period of THREE years. Two years in case of having M.Phil/DM in Neurology/M.Ch in Neurosurgery/MD/MS/DNB from a recognized University or from any other University recognized as equivalent thereto by NIMHANS. Two Years full time MA/M.Sc. degree in Psychology or two-year M.Phil. degree in Clinical Psychology (NIMHANS) in case of Mental Health & Social Psychology.
2. Candidates with master’s degree obtained through research and awarded on the basis of the evaluation of the thesis (from a University recognized by NIMHANS which do not award marks at the master’s level) are also eligible to apply for Ph.D. programme.
B) POST GRADUATE DEGREE/DIPLOMA COURSES
1. MD Degree in Psychiatry 14 Seats#
2. Diploma in Psychiatry (DPM) 7 Seats# (6 for Karnataka Domicile and 1 for Sponsored)*
3. M.Phil. in Mental Health & Social 18 Seats (3 for Foreign/Sponsored)* Psychology
4. M.Phil. in Psychiatric Social Work 18 Seats (3 for Foreign/Sponsored)*
5. M.Phil. in Neurophysiology 2 Seats
6. M.Phil. in Biophysics 3 Seats
7. M.Phil. in Neurosciences 4 Seats
8. M.Sc. in Psychiatric Nursing 9 Seats
*Sponsored candidates means sponsored by the State/Central Government or Public Sector undertaking of State/Central Government.
1. Diploma in Psychiatric Nursing (DPN) 30 Seats#
2. Diploma in Neurological and Neuro surgical Nursing(DNN) 6 Seats#
#No. of Seats likely to be increased, subject to sanctioning and filling up of the posts required for enhancement.
C) ELIGIBILITY CONDITIONS FOR ADMISSION:
MD in Psychiatry:
(a) MBBS: The duration of the course will be for a period of three years.
(b) Diploma in Psychiatry (DPM): The duration of the course will be for a period of two years.
Diploma in Psychiatry (DPM): MBBS. The duration of the course will be for a period of two years.
M.Phil. in Mental Health & Social Psychology: Two years full time MA/M.Sc. degree in Psychology.
M.Phil. in Psychiatric Social Work: Masterâ€™s Degree in Social Work.
M.Phil. in Neurophysiology: Masterâ€™s Degree in Life Sciences/ MBBS degree.
M.Phil. in Neurosciences: Master’s degree in Physical/Life/Behavioural Sciences or BE/B.Tech or MBBS.
M.Phil. in Biophysics: M.Sc. in Physical/Life Science/MBBS/BE Degree.
M.Sc. in Psychiatric Nursing Course:
(a)The course is open to those who are registered Nurses with B.Sc/B.Sc(Hons) in Nursing.
(b) Should have a minimum of two years of experience after obtaining B.Sc/B.Sc.(Hons) in Nursing degree in Hospital, Nursing Education, Institution or Community Health setting.
Diploma in Psychiatric Nursing (DPN) AND Diploma in Neurological & Neurosurgical Nursing (DNN): Should possess â€˜Aâ€™ Grade Certificate in General Nursing, recognized by Indian Nursing Council should be registered nurse in the State Nursing Council with two years experience.
Common for all Courses:
The qualifying degrees for all the above mentioned courses should be from a recognized University. For Medical qualification the degree should be recognized by the Medical Council of India.
The Candidates should have obtained not less than 55% of Marks in the aggregate of the Master’s degree for non-medical courses.
A relaxation of 5% on the aggregate of marks obtained will be given for nonmedical and Ph.D. courses in respect of SC/ST candidates.
In respect of Non-Medical Courses, candidates who have appeared for the qualifying examinations and are awaiting results, may also apply. However, such candidates will be eligible to appear for the Entrance Test, only if they produce the proof of having passed the examination in writing issued by the University as on the date of entrance test. In respect of Medical Courses, the candidates should have completed one year internship and registration with State Medical Council on or before 2nd May 2009 (proof of completion from competent authority to be produced at the time of joining, failing which admission will be cancelled).
E) FEES/EMOLUMENTS/RESERVATION OF SEATS:
Please refer Prospectus for full details.
1. Application forms and Prospectus can be downloaded from their website and can also be obtained from the Director, NIMHANS, Hosur Road, Bangalore â€“ 560 029 on request by mentioning the course and enclosing a Demand Draft towards application fee drawn in favour of the Director, NIMHANS, Bangalore â€“ 560 029 along with a self addressed envelope (25 cm X 18 cm) affixing stamp worth Rs.20/-
2. Application fee:
Medical Courses: Rs.1000/- per course and (Rs.750/- in case of SC/ST candidates) (non-refundable).
Non-Medical Courses: Rs.700/- per course and (Rs.500/- in case of SC/ST candidates) (non-refundable).
3. Candidates may apply for more than one course provided they are eligible.
4. Candidates can apply in the same application form for MD and Diploma in Psychiatry courses.
5. Candidates applying for Non Medical courses should apply on separate application for each course.
6. In case of Candidates applying for both Medical and Non Medical courses, (provided they are eligible) should apply in separate application forms.
7. Foreign Nationals are required to submit their applications through the Diplomatic Channel (through the Ministry of External Affairs). They shall also appear for the Common Entrance Test along with the other candidates.
8. Sponsored candidates should submit their application through proper channel and they should also appear for the Common Entrance Test. The candidates should produce the sponsorship certificate in the prescribed format.
9. AGE LIMIT:
For MD & DPM Courses the age should not be more than 32 years and, relaxable in case of SC/ST Candidates by a maximum of 5 years as on 2.5.2009. For sponsored candidates age should not be more than 40 years as on 2.5.2009.
10. Duly filled in application should be sent to
The Director, NIMHANS, Hosur Road, Bangalore â€“ 560 029 along with the requisite Demand Draft drawn in favour of Director, NIMHANS by superscribing the name of the course applied for on the Envolope without fail.
11. Applications downloaded from the website should be accompanied by a Demand Draft towards Application fee.
12. Last date for issuing of application:
Through post : 25th October 2008
In person : 31st October 2008
13. Last date for receipt of filled in application : 5th November 2008
14. Entrance Test will be held in Bangalore on : 22nd February 2009
15. Commencement of the Courses
PG Medical and Non-Medical courses : 2nd May 2009
16. Last date for admission of candidates selected to PG Medical & Non Medical Courses : 30th May 2009
Incomplete applications, applications without enclosures i.e., for Medical courses: Mark Sheet year wise, Attempt, Internship Completion, Degree, Registration Certificates and Birth Certificate/SSLC Marks sheet. Caste Certificate in case of SC/ST/OBC category. Non Medical courses: Qualifying exam mark sheets, Certificate, Caste Certificate in case of SC/ST/OBC category and experience certificate (if applicable) and Applications without Demand Draft or insufficient Demand Draft will be rejected. The Demand Draft or application of the rejected candidates will not be returned at any cost. No communication will be given against the rejected applications. Demand Draft or enclosures sent subsequently will not be considered. Applications will strictly not be received after 5th November 2008. No interim enquiry or correspondence will be entertained. The applications should be downloaded on A4 size paper only and SHOULD NOT BE FOLDED. Candidates called for Entrance Test and Counseling must be present at the venue withn the stipulated time failing which they will not be considered for Entrance Test or Counseling at any cost.
Eligible candidates for Entrance Test will be intimated by post and institute will not take any responsibility for non-receipt of the call letters. List of qualified candidates for counseling will be notified on the Instituteâ€™s Notice Board and Website. No separate individual intimation will be given. The decision of the Director in all matters regarding selection will be final and no representation in any form will be entertained. The candidate must visit the website from time to time for all necessary details and updates on the above.
THE LAST DATE TO RECEIVE THE FILLED IN APPLICATIONS IS 5th NOVEMBER, 2008.
NIMHANS Website : http://www.nimhans.kar.nic.in
E-mail : email@example.com